Call Us: 770-435-3214
Same day/Next day appointments available!
HEARTBURN / ACID REFLUX
KNOW THE FACTS
WHAT IS ACID REFLUX?
Acid reflux is when the acid that is normally in your stomach backs up into the esophagus, tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach. Another term for acid reflux is "gastroesophageal reflux disease," or GERD.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF ACID REFLUX?
The symptoms include:
● Burning in the chest, known as heartburn
● Burning in the throat or an acid taste in the throat
● Stomach or chest pain
● Trouble swallowing
● Having a raspy voice or a sore throat
● Unexplained cough
WHAT TREATMENTS CAN HELP WITH MY ACID REFLUX?
Acid reflux is treated with a combination of lifestyle changes as well as medication options. Many patients try over the counter heartburn medications first. However, you should make an appointment to see us if:
● Your symptoms are severe or last a long time
● You cannot seem to control your symptoms
● You have had symptoms for many years
You should also see a doctor more urgently if you:
● Have trouble swallowing, or feel as though food gets "stuck" on the way down
● Losing weight when you are not trying to
● Have chest pain
● Choke when you eat
● Vomit blood or have bowel movements that are red, black, or look like tar